Savory Beef Ragoût
Preparation and Cooking Time
2-1/4 to 3 hours
Makes 8 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Cook's Tip: Serve this hearty stew over buttered egg noodles.
Wine Notes: Flavor-forward braised dishes like beef ragoût bring out the tannins in wine. Choose one with soft tannins like Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. These food-friendly wines will enhance the hearty flavors in this classic stew.
- 3 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- Lightly coat beef with flour. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/4 of beef; remove and keep warm. Continue to brown beef in three more batches using 1 tablespoon oil for each batch.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add butter and 2 tablespoons oil to stockpot. Add onions; cook and stir 25 to 30 minutes, or until they begin to caramelize. Stir in garlic during last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Return beef to stockpot. Add tomatoes, broth, wine, paprika, lemon peel, 1 teaspoon salt, red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours, or until beef is fork-tender. Stir in parsley and basil. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Reviews and Comments: