Chocolate Fig Bread Pudding With Spirited Sauce
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 4 cups (3/4-inch cubes) firm white bread
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid
- Mission or Calimyrnafigs, stems removed
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) chocolate morsels or coarsely chopped chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup dark rum or brandy
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Combine bread cubes, figs and chocolate in baking dish. Heat milk and butter until butter is melted (do not boil).
- Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt; blend well. Add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly. Pour over bread and fig mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Bake uncovered 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. If desired, baked pudding can be made several days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, reheat in 325F oven 15 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, combine all ingredients in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Serve warm over bread pudding.
Reviews and Comments: