Choc-Oat Chip Meringue Bars
- 2-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Shedd's Spread Country Crock Spreadable Sticks
- 3eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups Quaker oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- *If using old fashioned oats, add additional 2 tablespoons flour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Generously spray 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Beat 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, spread, egg yolks and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add combined oats, flour, baking powder and salt; beat just until dry ingredients are incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread evenly onto bottom of pan. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 25 minutes. Remove to wire rack; leave oven on.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) in clean dry bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1 cup brown sugar beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in pecans. Spread meringue evenly onto warm cookie layer.
- Return pan to oven. Bake 15 minutes until meringue is light brown.
- Cool bars completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 1-1/2-inch squares with thin, wet knife. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Reviews and Comments: