25 to 30 minutes
Makes 18 appetizers
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Vegetarian alternative: Substitute 18 (1 1/2-inch) baby portobello mushrooms, stems removed.
Pairing suggestion: Mirassou California Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 pound beef tenderloin filets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Mirassou California Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (4-ounce) jar horseradish
- 1 cup sour cream
- Place beef cubes in freezer 30 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in medium skillet. Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic, and cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and tarragon and cook until all excess liquid has cooked off. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Roll each puff pastry sheet into 11-inch square on lightly floured board. Cut each sheet into 9 equal squares and place equal amounts of mushroom mixture in center of each. Top with beef cubes and brush pastry edges with beaten egg. Fold in pastry to enclose and pinch edges to seal well. Place seam-side down on baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Bake about 12 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Stir together horseradish and sour cream and serve with Wellingtons.
Reviews and Comments: