Cheery Cherry Cookies
Preparation and Cooking Time
20 to 25 minutes
Makes about 7 dozen cookies
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Cook's Tips: Peanuts must be finely chopped to easily slice dough into rounds.
Cookie dough logs may be made in advance, wrapped airtight and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen up to 2 weeks. Thaw frozen dough in refrigerator before slicing and baking.
- 1 cup dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel
- 1 cup honey-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- Combine cherries and 2 teaspoons of the flour in small bowl; toss to mix well. Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in large mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in remaining flour and salt. Add orange peel and cherry mixture; mix to combine.
- Divide dough into thirds; shape each third into log, 1-1/2 inches in diameter and about 7 inches long. Roll each log in 1/3 cup peanuts. Wrap each log in waxed paper or plastic wrap, twisting ends to seal. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Unwrap logs and cut crosswise into 1/4- inch slices. Place slices 1 to 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in 400°F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cookies from cookie sheet to wire racks; cool completely. Drizzle cookies with melted chocolate chips for festive appearance, if desired. Store in airtight container.
Reviews and Comments: