Zesty Shrimp and Orange Fajitas With Whole Wheat Tortillas
2 1/2 hours (2 for marinating)
Makes 6 (14 1/2-ounce) servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Analysis from Genesis R&D by ESHA Research, Inc.
- 1 cup 100% orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 medium yellow peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 10- to 15-count shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 12 6- to 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- Large cloth napkin or dish towel to keep tortillas warm
- Combine all ingredients, except shrimp and oil, in medium mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss shrimp into marinade and refrigerate 2 hours.
- To cook, remove shrimp from marinade and let drain 5 minutes. Drain vegetables from marinade through large colander over saucepot. Bring reserved marinade liquid to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes; set aside.
- Heat large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of oil to skillet. Add shrimp and sauté until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove shrimp from skillet and keep warm. Add other half of oil to skillet, followed by drained vegetables. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Turn heat up to high and spread vegetables evenly throughout skillet.
- Vegetables will start to brown on bottom of skillet. Arrange shrimp over vegetables and add reserved marinade.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly spray one side of each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray. Place tortilla, sprayed-side down, into hot skillet. Cook until tortilla begins to expand, about 1 minute, then flip and cook another minute. Place tortilla on large napkin. Repeat until all tortillas are cooked. Stack tortillas as cooked, then wrap with napkin and place on serving plate.
- Serve immediately with side of your favorite guacamole and plate of warmed whole wheat tortillas.
Reviews and Comments: