Preparation and Baking Time
Makes 12 servings
- 1 bag Starburst Jellybeans Original Fruit
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups lightly packed shredded carrots (about 5 or 6) or 1 (10-ounce) bag pre-shredded carrots
- 2 (16-ounce) cans vanilla frosting
- Green and orange food coloring
- 1 bag Snickers Minis for Easter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9 x 13 pan with wax paper.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat together eggs and both sugars until well blended. Slowly add oil, milk and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture to bowl, a third at a time, and beat until smooth. Fold in shredded carrots.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Cut cake once across 9-inch width to create a 9 x 10- and a 9 x 3-inch section (refer to diagram/template at www.brightideas.com/easter/pop_1631.shtml)
- For 9 x 10 piece: Place small dot of frosting in center of top and bottom 9-inch edges. Then, place dot on left and right edges, 1 inch down from top edge. Carefully make 4 cuts through cake, from dot on top edge to dots on left and right, then from dots on left and right to dot on bottom edge. Discard 2 small triangles of cake resulting beside top dot.
- For 9 x 3 piece: Carefully cut diagonally from top left corner to bottom right. Notch out short sides of resulting triangles to create "carrot tops" (2 stems/leaves). Discard notched-out pieces.
- Roughly chop Minis for Easter, place in microwave-safe container and add heavy cream. Microwave 60 seconds. Remove and stir mixture until blended. To melt on stove, place ingredients in top half of double boiler. Place over medium high heat and slowly melt, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange 4-sided piece of cake from step 5a on serving platter. Cover top surface with melted chocolate mixture. Gently flip 2 large triangles from step 5a and arrange side-by-side on chocolate surface, aligning edges with 4-sided cake layer below. Arrange 2 "carrot tops" from step 5b on serving platter above 2-layer "carrot" (see photo). Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tint 1 cup vanilla frosting green and 2 cups orange. Remove cake from refrigerator and spread with very thin layer of green frosting on "stems and leaves" and orange frosting on carrot. Return to refrigerator for 10 minutes. Frost cake with another layer of orange and green icing. Decorate with yellow, orange and green jellybeans.
Reviews and Comments: