Slow-Cooked Achiote Pork
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
* Adapted from "Mexican Everyday," courtesy of Rick Bayless
- 3 pounds bone-in pork shoulder roast
- 1/2 of a 3.5-ounce package achiote seasoning
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice (divided use)
- 1/2 1-pound package banana leaves, defrosted if frozen (optional), available in Mexican or Asian markets
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Place achiote seasoning in small bowl, pour in 1/2 cup of lime juice and 2 teaspoons salt; use back of a spoon to work the two together into smooth, thickish marinade.
- If using banana leaves, cut 2 two-foot sections and use them to line slow cooker-lay one down the length, the other across the width. Add meat and pour marinade over and around roast. Scatter white onion over meat.
- Pour 1/2 cup water around meat. Fold up banana leaves to roughly cover everything. Slow cook 6 hours until meat is fork-tender (pork can hold at "keep warm" setting for 4 or more hours).
- While meat cooks, combine red onion with remaining 1/4 cup lime juice in small bowl. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss and let marinate, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer meat and onions to dinner plates. Spoon off any rendered fat. If two cups or more sauce is left, tip or ladle it into saucepan and boil down to about one cup. Season with salt if needed, then spoon over meat.
- Top with lime-marinated red onions and serve with salsa or hot sauce-and plenty of hot tortillas for making tacos.
Reviews and Comments: