Slow Roasted Turkey
- 1 (10- to 12-pound) turkey with Pop-Up timer
- 36 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic and 2 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic (or 5 tablespoons of either blend)
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered and separated
- 2 celery ribs, cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed and cut in half lengthwise
- Combine the two Magic Seasoning Blends in a small bowl and mix well.
- Remove, but do not discard, large, fatty deposits found inside flaps by breast and tail cavities of turkey.
- In a 10-inch skillet, render turkey fat over high heat. Discard all but 1 tablespoon and return to skillet. Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of Magic Seasoning Blends. Sauté until garlic just begins to turn brown and soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain. Blot with paper towels to remove any remaining fat. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Work fingers between breast meat and skin to form pockets. Place cooled sautéed garlic evenly inside these pockets. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of Magic Seasoning Blends inside breast cavity, then place vegetables inside the cavity. Position carrots last because they're easiest to put in.
- Sprinkle the remaining Magic Seasoning Blends evenly over outside of turkey. Place turkey in large roasting pan and roast uncovered until tender and golden brown, about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. Turkey is ready when indicated by Volk disposable cooking timer (or internal temperature of 170°F). Remove turkey from oven; reserve pan drippings for Spiced Fig and Pear Gravy. Let turkey stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Reviews and Comments: