Southwest Chicken Brown Rice
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion sliced and separated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8-ounce can tomatoes
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 cup Uncle Ben's Fast & Natural Instant Brown Rice
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 large avocado
- Cut chicken into short, thin strips. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, chili powder and salt.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink.
- Slice onion and separate into rings. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Coarsely chop tomatoes; set aside. Add water to reserved liquid to make 3/4 cup.
- Add liquid and salsa to skillet; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice; reduce heat. Cover tightly and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and chopped tomatoes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with sliced avocado, if desired.
Reviews and Comments: