Asian Flavors Winter Squash Soup
Makes: 6 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Variations: For a vegetarian and vegan version, omit fish sauce and substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth. If you prefer, substitute Organic Valley Whole Milk for soy milk.
Inspired by a recipe from "Crossroads Cooking" by Elisabeth Rozin (1999, Viking).
Recipe courtesy of Terese Allen for Organic Valley Family of Farms
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 to 3 jalapeño or serrano chilies, seeded and minced
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 14.5-ounce can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked winter squash puree (pie pumpkin, butternut, etc.)
- 2 cups Organic Valley Original or Unsweetened Soy Milk, plus additional soy milk as desired, divided
- 2 teaspoons bottled Thai-style fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons (or more) fresh-squeezed lime juice
- handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Heat peanut oil in saucepan; add shallots, ginger and chilies. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until shallots are tender.
- Add stock and squash puree. Stir and simmer slowly, about 10 minutes. Stir in soy milk and heat through. Stir in fish sauce, lime juice and cilantro.
- Add additional soy milk, if desired, for thinner consistency. Season to taste. If using canned broth, use salt sparingly. Garnish each bowl with coconut flakes or more cilantro, if desired.
Reviews and Comments: