Yields 1 14- to 15-inch pizza
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Recipe by Terese Allen - Food Editor, Organic Valley
- Pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, or seeded, finely chopped fresh tomatoes
- Vegetables: chopped or sliced onions; sweet or hot peppers; zucchini; mushrooms; artichoke hearts; sautéed leeks; cooked, chopped eggplant, etc.
- Meat: chopped Organic Prairie Canadian bacon or ham, or cooked, sliced Organic Prairie Italian sausage (chicken or pork)
- Other toppings: chopped olives, roasted red peppers, or fresh herbs like rosemary, basil or oregano
- Cheese: crumbled Organic Valley Feta or Blue cheese, or shredded or sliced Organic Valley Provolone, Parmesan, Mozzarella or Italian Blend
- 1 to 2 packages pizza crust mix (13 to 15 ounces total)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
- Heat pizza stone in oven at 425°F 30 to 45 minutes. (If you're not using a stone, heat oven and grease a heavy baking sheet.) Meanwhile, prepare toppings. Mix crust dough according to package instructions, stirring in fresh herbs. Let dough rise per package directions.
- Sprinkle work surface and your fingers with flour. Flatten and press dough into a 9- or 10-inch circle. Sprinkle cornmeal generously over a wooden peel, which will be used to transfer pizza to heated stone. Fold dough over once and transfer to peel. Unfold and gently press dough into a 14- to 15-inch circle, making the edge thicker than the middle. (Alternatively, you can make a rectangular pizza.) Sprinkle cornmeal over heated pizza stone. Slide uncooked crust onto stone, using a gentle jerking motion to edge it off the peel. (If you're not using a stone, form the smaller portion of dough into the pizza directly on the greased baking sheet).
- Bake crust 5 minutes. Remove partially cooked crust from oven. Spread pizza sauce on crust; sprinkle chosen toppings and cheese over sauce. Bake until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned, an additional 12 to 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Reviews and Comments: