Roasted Turkey With Sausage-Apple Stuffing
- 1 (14- to 16-pound) frozen young turkey
1 cup Ac'cent Flavor Enhancer
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
1 gallon iced water
- Combine all brine ingredients, except iced water, in stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids; then remove from heat, cool to room temperature and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Early on day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine brine and iced water in clean 5-gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey, breast side down, in brine; cover and refrigerate. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Remove turkey from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard brine. Place turkey on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels. Place stuffing (see Sausage-Apple Stuffing recipe) into cavity of turkey. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil and shake on additional Ac'cent as desired.
- Roast on lowest level of oven at 500°F 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350°F. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161°F. A 14- to 16-pound bird should require 2 to 2 1/2 hours total roasting time. Let turkey rest, loosely covered 15 minutes before carving.
Reviews and Comments: