Banana and Bacon Stuffed French Toast
France comes to Savannah in this French toast stuffed with crispy bacon, ripe banana and creamy mascarpone.
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Serving Suggestions: Cafe au lait and fresh clementine juice make this breakfast complete.
- 1 (500 grams) loaf brioche (substitute egg bread)
- 1 package mascarpone (substitute cream cheese)
- 3 to 4 bananas, sliced lengthwise (each banana should yield 4 slices)
- 1 pound Smithfield Bacon, cooked until crisp
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Pure maple syrup, warmed
- 1 pint fresh berries for garnish
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Slice brioche into 6 slices approximately 1 inch wide. Cut each slice almost all the way in half leaving a "hinged" edge. Spread thin layer of mascarpone on inside of one side of each slice. Lay two banana slices and cooked bacon on mascarpone. Press brioche together. In large bowl add eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla, orange zest, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Melt butter in large skillet or on griddle. Working in batches, dip each stuffed brioche into egg mixture, being careful not to allow bacon and bananas to fall out. Grill on each side until golden brown.
- Pool maple syrup on large plate and place 1 piece stuffed brioche on syrup. Sprinkle fresh berries on top of brioche and dust entire plate with powdered sugar.
Reviews and Comments: