Sweet Cherry Pie Ice Cream
Churn rich, homemade vanilla ice cream with chopped maraschino cherries and crumbled cinnamon graham crackers mixed in, or fold chopped maraschino cherries and crumbled graham crackers into softened premium vanilla ice cream; freeze.
Yield 1 quart
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 16-ounce jar chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon graham crackers, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Heat cream and milk to just below the boil. Whisk egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of salt until just blended.
- Strain hot cream onto egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return to saucepan and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until it coats the spoon.
- Strain, add almond extract and cherries. Cool completely; freeze in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions. Fold in graham crackers. Freeze until firm.
Reviews and Comments: