Angry Shrimp with Tuscan White Beans
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Wine Pairing: Cavit Riesling
Vibrant with luscious aromas and flavors. Crisp and well-balanced with just a hint of sweetness.
- 1 can (19 oz) Progresso cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup Progresso chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons California chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt (gray salt)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Progresso panko bread crumbs
- 16 large uncooked shrimp, peeled (tail shells left on), deveined
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh whole basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Additional extra-virgin olive oil
- In small saucepan, heat beans, 2 tablespoons olive oil and the chicken broth to boiling. Reduce heat to low to keep mixture warm. (Lemon juice and parsley will be added later.)
- In small bowl, mix flour, chili powder, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. In another small bowl, beat egg lightly. In third small bowl, place bread crumbs.
- Coat shrimp with flour mixture, shaking off excess; next dip shrimp into egg and then coat with bread crumbs. In 10-inch skillet, heat 1/3 cup of the oil over high heat. Add shrimp to skillet in single layer. (Do not toss or move shrimp.) Cook about 3 minutes. Turn shrimp over; cook until browned. Remove shrimp from skillet to cookie sheet.
- Add garlic to hot oil in skillet; cook and stir until light brown, adding more oil if necessary. Add chile; cook until soft. Carefully add basil (water in skillet will pop). Cook 45 to 60 seconds or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, stir lemon juice and parsley into bean mixture in saucepan; season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Stir orange peel into basil mixture in skillet. Remove from heat. Return shrimp to skillet; toss to combine.
- Spoon bean mixture onto platter or individual plates. Drizzle with olive oil. Top with shrimp; spoon some of basil mixture with some of its oil over top.
Reviews and Comments: