Andouille Dirty Rice
Created by Executive Chef John Besh of Restaurant August, New Orleans
Makes 6 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Note: If including chicken/duck livers, add livers and stir for an additional 4 minutes before adding broth.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 1 cup andouille sausage, removed from casing and chopped in food processor
- 1 rib celery, finely minced
- 1/4 cup finely minced bell pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 package Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix
- 1/2 pound chicken or duck livers, finely minced (optional)
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Make dark roux by combining cooking oil and flour in heavy bottomed 6 to 8-quart saucepot, over low flame. Stir constantly using wooden spoon.
- When roux is finished, stir in onion and allow to brown, leaving flame on low. Next, add andouille, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Add dirty rice mix and stir for five minutes to toast rice.
- Stir in broth, allow mixture to come to a boil, cover with lid and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Before serving, season with minced green onion and parsley.
Reviews and Comments: