Cheesy Macaroni Bake
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 (12-ounce) can Spam Lite, diced
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound processed sharp American cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup (1 slice) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Stovetop directions - Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Combine Spam with macaroni in lightly-greased 2-quart casserole.
- In medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter; blend in flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and cayenne until smooth. Stir in milk; cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens and boils. Add cheese; cook, stirring until cheese melts.
- Pour over Spam mixture; mix well. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; combine with bread crumbs and paprika; sprinkle over top.
- Bake in 400°F oven 20 to 25 minutes.
- Microwave directions - Cook macaroni according to package directions. In 4-cup measure, stir together flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and cayenne; slowly mix in milk until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon butter and cheese; microwave 4 minutes. Stir until smooth, microwave 3 minutes more. Beat until smooth.
- Combine Spam and macaroni in casserole; mix in sauce. Combine 1 tablespoon butter, bread crumbs, and paprika in 2-cup measure; microwave 1 minute.
- Reserve. Microwave casserole 3 minutes. Stir; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture; microwave 2 minutes more.
- Cover and let stand 3 minutes.
Reviews and Comments: