Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose white flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups firmly packed finely grated carrots
- 1 cup honey, liquefied in microwave (30 seconds)
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup crushed or chopped pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Diamond walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper baking cups.
- In medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice.
- In large bowl, using a large spoon, stir together carrots, honey, orange juice, pineapple, oil and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened (do not over mix). Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, using about 2/3 cup batter for each. Bake until dark golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let sit in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- NOTE: You can also pour the batter into a nonstick 8-inch-square baking pan and bake for 45-60 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, cut into 12 pieces, and serve.
Reviews and Comments: