Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In large bowl with mixer on medium, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. With mixer on low, alternately beat in flour mixture and sour cream until combined. Continue to beat on medium until batter is thick and smooth.
- Spoon batter into a zip-top bag. Snip a 1/2-inch corner from bag and fill liners slightly less than two-thirds full. Bake 24 to 26 minutes, or until lightly golden and a pick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes; remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- Toss strawberries several times in a bowl with sugar and lemon juice until very syrupy. In large bowl, beat cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Use a skewer to poke several holes into top of each cupcake. Spoon some syrup from bowl over top, allowing it to absorb into cupcakes. Top with sliced berries and a dollop of cream. Arrange a few sliced berries in cream and drizzle with remaining strawberry syrup.
Reviews and Comments: