Grilled Bratwurst with Chow-Chow
20 minutes, plus 4-12 hours for vegetable marinade
1 hour, 10 minutes
Makes 8 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Recipe created by Barbecue Expert Chris Lilly on Behalf of Kingsford® Charcoal
- 8 uncooked bratwurst sausages
- 8 hotdog buns
- 2 cans cola (24 ounces)
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 4 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 green tomatoes, diced (can substitute tomatillos)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- In large container, combine cabbage, peppers, onions, and tomatoes (raw vegetables should equal 2 1/2 to 3 quarts). Mix with 1/2 cup salt, cover, and let stand for 4-12 hours. Drain well.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and turmeric in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Chow-chow can be served as a hot or cold topping. For canning, spoon into sterilized pint canning jars and seal. (Makes 3 pints)
- Pour cola into small pot. Add sausages, bring to a boil. As soon as cola turns clear, remove sausages (about 4-5 minutes).
- Preheat charcoal grill to 400°F. Place bratwursts on hot grate over direct heat for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and place on bun. Top with a generous helping of Chow-chow.
Reviews and Comments: