Caramel-Apple Streusel Pie
Start to Finish Time
- 6 cups sliced peeled ripe apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 box (14.1 ounces) Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 18 caramels, unwrapped
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400°F. In large bowl, mix apples and lemon juice. In small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to apples; stir gently. Let stand 15 minutes. Place 1 pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Pour apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- In small bowl, mix oats, flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Cut second crust into wedges; arrange wedges in an alternate pattern across the mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat caramels and milk over low heat until caramels are melted. Stir until smooth; add pecans. Drizzle over pie. Bake 8 to 10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 2 hours.
Reviews and Comments: