Broccoli, Bacon and Cheddar Chowder
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Recipe excerpt used with permission. Text copyright 300 Sensational Soups (c) Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds 2008 Robert Rose Inc.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 12 ounces Wisconsin red skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, if desired
- 2 10-ounce boxes frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- Heat large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and transfer to paper towel lined plate and reserve. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat. Add butter and onion and cook for 6 minutes or until softened. Add flour and cook, stirring for another 2 minutes or until foamy.
- Whisk in salt, cayenne pepper, milk and chicken stock and cook until it becomes smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In bowl, toss cheddar with flour to coat.
- Stir in cheese, a handful at a time, whisking after each addition until smooth. Add in hot pepper sauce if using. Add thawed broccoli and stir to heat. Do not boil. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Ladle soup into heated bowls and garnish with reserved bacon.
Reviews and Comments: