Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Peppermint Candy Flavoring or 1/2 teaspoon Imitation Almond Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- No-Taste Red Icing Color
- White Sparkling Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. In large bowl, cream butter with sugar with mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and peppermint candy flavoring. Add flour 1 cup at a time to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. If dough becomes too stiff, add water, a teaspoon at a time. Do not chill dough.
- Divide dough into 2 balls. Color one ball of dough red with icing color. Pinch off a 1-inch ball of each color dough. On flat surface, roll ball into 3-inch-long strips. Place red and white strips side-by-side; roll them together until the two colors have wrapped around one another and are twisted together. Curve the strip at the top to the shape of a candy cane and place on ungreased cookie sheet; gently press Sparkling Sugar into dough.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool on pan 2 minutes; remove to cooling grid and cool completely.
Reviews and Comments: