Arugula and Mozzarella Spiked Tomatoes with Basil Vinaigrette
- 4 medium sized Florida tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 bunch fresh Florida arugula (or basil)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- For vinaigrette: In medium sized bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, basil and garlic until completely emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Rinse tomatoes under cold running water and pat dry with clean paper towels. With a sharp serrated knife, cut each tomato into an even number of wedges. Then make a horizontal cut near the tip of each wedge, being careful not to cut all the way down. Set aside sliced tomatoes.
- Cut mozzarella into slices that will fit into the slices made in the tomatoes. (Try to fit one piece of mozzarella into a tomato to see what size you'll need to cut the rest.) To assemble, insert a slice of mozzarella into each tomato wedge. Arrange wedges on a plate and top with arugula or basil leaves. Garnish with basil vinaigrette. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Reviews and Comments: