'Cued Country Beet Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette
Number of servings 6
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Recipe created by Southern Ground Executive Chef Rusty Hamlin on behalf of Kingsford(r) Charcoal, and inspired by the Zac Brown Band 2011 concert tour.
- 1/2 large ruby red grapefruit, juiced (or 3/4 cup ruby red grapefruit juice)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 6 medium golden beets
- 20 small pearl red onions
- 1/2 pound French green beans
- 2 ounces farm goat cheese
- Preheat grill using charcoal.
- In small bowl, whisk grapefruit juice and olive oil together with basil, thyme, salt and pepper until emulsified.
- Bring three inches of cold water to boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Once boiling, add green beans to pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until bright green. Drain beans and place in large bowl, filled with ice and water. Once cooled, remove beans and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Place onions in vegetable grill pan over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill and let cool.
- Grill beets for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat, or until they have softened and have grill marks. Remove beets and place a large bowl. Once cool, cut beets in half.
- Combine beans, onions, beets and goat cheese in large bowl, and toss with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat. Chill covered for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
Reviews and Comments: