Individual Baked Alaskas
- 2 pints Graeter's Ice Cream of choice, such as Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip
- 8 mini dessert shells, frozen
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 to 5 eggs)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place ice cream in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to soften slightly. Line a heavy cookie sheet with parchment paper or heavy duty foil, and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Line dessert shells on cookie sheet, about two inches apart. Firmly press a scoop of ice cream into each frozen shell. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- For meringue: Whisk together egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and salt in heatproof bowl.
- Set bowl in pan of gently simmering water to a warm water bath. Slowly whisk until sugar is dissolved and egg whites are about 110°F.
- Remove bowl from water bath, and whisk mixture on high speed until stiff, about four to six minutes.
- Working quickly, use a spoon to spread meringue completely over each ice cream shell, covering it completely. Bake immediately, or freeze.
- Preheat oven to 500°F, positioning rack in center of oven. Bake until meringue is lightly browned and set, about three minutes. If baking the meringue from a frozen state, it may take one or two minutes longer. Using a wide spatula, immediately transfer onto plates and serve.
Reviews and Comments: