Baked Mozzarella Sticks with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
Serves 4 (2 mozzarella sticks plus 1/2 cup sauce per serving)
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Weight Watchers PointsPlus value: 3 per serving
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 tablespoons unseasoned panko or breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons enriched flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly scrambled
- 4 pieces Weight Watchers Light String Cheese (or Weight WatchersNatural Light Smoked Mozzarella String Cheese), cut in half
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat until just warm, about 1 minute. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes; stir well. Heat until sauce begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- On a medium plate, combine panko, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper.
- Place flour on small plate. Coat each stick in flour. Shake off excess; dip in egg. Dip sticks in panko mixture. Place sticks on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Spray tops with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for 1 hour; refrigerate sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400°F 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Remove baking sheet from freezer; place in oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until sticks are just heated through, not melted. Remove from oven.
- Remove sauce from refrigerator. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes until warmed through. Serve with sticks.
Reviews and Comments: