Almond Crusted Pumpkin Fritters
- 1 pound cooked Kabocha squash (1 small raw)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed chili flakes
- 1/2 pound cooked russet potato (1 large raw)
- 1 cup salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 ounce grated parmesan
- 1 ounce grated cheddar
- 1 egg yolk
- Zest of half a lemon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups toasted crushed almonds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bag micro greens
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Split squash width wise; scrape out seeds. Drizzle each half with olive oil. Sprinkle with chili flakes, a pinch of salt and pepper. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Stab each potato four times around with fork. Line sheet pan with salt; place potatoes on top. Place squash face-down on another parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake squash and potatoes in oven for 1 hour or until soft. Remove from oven. Carefully split open potatoes lengthwise to steam; allow all to cool completely. Discard salt.
- When cool, scoop out squash and potato into bowl. Add sage, parmesan, cheddar, egg and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly; a chunky texture is fine.
- Set up three bowls and one parchment-lined sheet tray. In one bowl, whisk together eggs; place almonds and flour separately in two remaining bowls.
- With large spoon or scoop, take about 2 tablespoons of squash mixture and form an oval; dredge in flour, dip in egg and roll in almonds before placing onto sheet pan. Repeat with remaining squash. Refrigerate until ready to fry.
- In deep, heavy bottomed pan, heat oil to 300°F. Carefully pan fry fritters until golden brown, approximately 2-1/2 minutes each side. Remove from oil. Drain on paper towel; sprinkle with pinch of salt. Serve hot on small bed of microgreens with or without sauce.
Reviews and Comments: