Crunchy Pecan-Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Looking for a reason to host an informal gathering in your home? Brunch is the perfect occasion and this moist coffee cake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
55 minutes plus cooling
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Great Substitute: Substitute Post Selects Cranberry Almond Crunch cereal for the Post Selects Great Grains cereal.
- 1-1/2 cups Post Selects Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, divided
- 2 medium tart green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- MIX 1 cup cereal, 1/2 cup pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon in large bowl for pecan mixture; set aside. Mix remaining 1/2 cup cereal and 1/3 cup flour in medium bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup of the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3/4 cup of the pecan mixture to form streusel crumb mixture. Set both mixtures aside.
- TOSS apple slices with lemon juice; set aside. Mix 1-3/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat remaining 1/2 cup butter, granulated sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream until blended, beating on low speed.
- MICROWAVE caramels and half-and-half in small microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until caramels are melted. Stir; set aside. Spread 1/2 of the batter into greased 9-inch springform pan; sprinkle with reserved pecan mixture. Layer apple slices and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the caramel sauce. Gently spread with remaining batter. Top with reserved streusel crumb mixture.
- BAKE 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans. Bake 45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce. Cool 1 hour. Remove from pan.
Reviews and Comments: