Baked Rice With Chorizo and Apple
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 Washington Pink Lady apples, cored and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In 9- or 10-inch oven-proof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sausage and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rice, salt and turmeric; cook 2 minutes. Stir in the water, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Stir apple into rice mixture, sprinkle cheese on top and bake, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover and bake 8 to 10 minutes longer or until rice is cooked and cheese is lightly browned.
Reviews and Comments: