Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Mac 'n Cheese
Yield 6 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Tip: Make a double batch and freeze for a later date.
- 1 small head or bundle broccoli, trimmed into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower or half a large head, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 pound whole-wheat macaroni or penne or other short cut pasta
- 2 cups sour cream or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or crushed into paste
- A few drops hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar
- Bring large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt water and add broccoli and cauliflower florets. Boil vegetables for 5 minutes, then remove with a spider or a strainer and drain.
- Add pasta to water and undercook by about 2 minutes, drain.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream in large bowl along with mustard, chives, garlic, hot sauce, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add pasta and cauliflower and 2/3 of the cheese. Stir to combine, then transfer to a casserole dish or Ziploc VersaGlass container and cover with remaining cheese. Cool and chill for a make-ahead meal.
- To heat and eat, put casserole on baking sheet and bake in the middle of a preheated 375°F oven until deeply golden and bubbly, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Reviews and Comments: