Apple-Walnut Greens With Chicken, Dried Plums & Spiced Pecans
Makes 4 servings
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
*To blanch green beans, cook in salted boiling water just until crisp-tender. Drain; immediately drop into ice water to cool. Drain.
If you are pressed for time, use plain, toasted nuts and bottled dressing. Or, make up a batch of Spiced Pecans and keep them in an airtight container in the freezer.
Recipe created by Gale Gand.
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon each vegetable oil and packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground red pepper and ground cumin
- 8 cups (about 8 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 1 package (6 ounces) fully cooked grilled chicken strips
- About 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) green beans, blanched*
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) coarsely chopped dried plums (prunes)
- 1/2 cup Apple-Walnut Vinaigrette (recipe follows) or prepared red wine vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- Heat oven to 300°F. For Spiced Pecans, in medium bowl, combine all ingredients; toss to coat. Bake, in even layer on baking sheet, 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally; set aside.
- For Salad, in large bowl, combine mixed greens, chicken, green beans, dried plums and Spiced Pecans. Drizzle with Apple-Walnut Vinaigrette; toss to coat. Sprinkle with goat cheese; serve immediately.
- Apple-Walnut Vinaigrette: In blender, process 1/2 of a peeled, cored and cut-up Granny Smith apple, 1 peeled shallot, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar until smooth. With motor running, slowly add 2/3 cup vegetable oil and 1/3 cup walnut oil until creamy. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days. (Makes 1 1/2 cups.)
Reviews and Comments: