Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In large paper bag, combine flour, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt. Pour buttermilk into bowl or shallow dish. Dip each chicken piece in buttermilk and then place into paper bag. Shake bag to coat chicken evenly with flour. Remove chicken to wire rack and let dry 15 minutes.
- In large, deep frying pan, warm vegetable oil over medium heat. Test oil temperature by placing a drop of water in pan; when it sizzles, pan and oil are hot enough. Place dark meat chicken pieces in the center of the pan and place other pieces around the perimeter. Cook chicken to brown on both sides for a minute or two. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan and cook chicken for 10 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and cook 10 minutes more.
- Uncover pan, increase heat to high and fry for one additional minute. Remove chicken to paper towels to drain.
Reviews and Comments: