I have to be honest. I’ve never been a fan of Valentine’s Day. It’s not that I don’t like the holiday or the meaning behind it, I’ve just never been interested in celebrating it. My husband and I don’t swap gifts or go to a fancy dinner. In our household, it’s honestly just another day. Until this year!
Hear me when I say I’m not going all in. We’re starting small on our Valentine’s Day celebration, but if we’re going to start somewhere it must be with food! This year I’m making Red Velvet Heart Pancakes!
Not only do I love everything red velvet, but breakfast is one of my favorite meals and these little heart-shaped pancakes are full of festive fun. Whether you’re like me and want to celebrate small or these would be a small part of an elaborate celebration, they’re sure to get you in the Valentine’s Day spirit.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Red Velvet Heart Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus additional for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 30-40 drops red food coloring
- nonstick cooking spray
- syrup, for garnish
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- raspberries, for garnish
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg. Add buttermilk, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla extract and food coloring; whisk until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spray heart-shaped cookie cutter with nonstick cooking sprayand place in skillet. Add enough batter to fill heart. Cook 2 minutes. Remove heart cutter. Flip pancake and cook 1 minute.
- Serve with butter, syrup, powdered sugar and raspberries.
Note: If mixture is too thick, add water until desired consistency is reached.
Wishing you and your loved ones a happy Valentine’s Day! If these Red Velvet Heart Pancakes make your celebration, we’d love to see your final product by tagging @culinary_net on Instagram and using #MyCulinaryConnection.
Hi! I’m Abby the Digital Marketing Specialist at Family Features. Digital marketing constantly pushes me to try new things and always has me staying up-to-date on the never-ending trends and digital updates. This has 100% translated into my life in the kitchen, too. I am always eager to try new ingredients and love to see what new flavors and combos are up and coming. I can’t wait to share new recipes and where my curiosity for new things takes my taste buds!