(Family Features) Fun in the summer sun can mean anything from poolside play and outdoor exercise to simply relaxing in the shade. While these activities make the season special for people of all ages, the heat also leads to the inevitable: sweat.
Electrolytes, critical for the human body to function, are lost via sweat throughout the day. Drinking plenty of fluids, such as water, helps keep you hydrated. However, adding 100% orange juice to your diet can help replace those lost electrolytes in addition to aiding hydration. According to a study published in the “Journal of Nutrition and Health Sciences,” drinking 100% orange juice following exercise contributes to hydration equally as well as water and sports drinks, making the beverage a viable alternative for recovery.
“Electrolytes include nutrients such as potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium,” said Dr. Rosa Walsh, scientific research director at the Florida Department of Citrus. “In fluids, these nutrients carry an electric charge, which allows muscles to contract and nerves to transmit signals, and are critical for the human body to function. Plain water contains few if any electrolytes, so you must replace lost electrolytes by consuming foods or beverages that contain these nutrients. Drinking fluids that contain both water and electrolytes, such as 100% orange juice, may help support hydration.”
In fact, 100% orange juice contains about 90% water and can contribute to overall water intake. With no added sugar, it’s an ideal way to support hydration by drinking it on its own or by adding it to recipes like this Healthy Broccoli Salad with Miso Orange Dressing or Pineapple Orange Smoothie.
Consider these major electrolytes found in orange juice:
- Potassium: The major electrolyte within all cells, it helps balance fluid in the body with a strong relationship to sodium, the major electrolyte in the blood and outside the cells. Potassium is especially important for regulating heart rhythm and function. An 8-ounce glass of 100% orange juice provides 10% of the recommended daily value for potassium.
- Magnesium: The fourth-most abundant mineral in the body and essential in the regulation of muscle contraction, cardiac excitability, blood pressure and other vital processes. An 8-ounce glass of 100% orange juice contains 6% of the recommended daily value for magnesium.
- Calcium: Found in fortified varieties of orange juice, calcium plays an important role in muscle contraction, nerve transmission and the contraction and relaxation of the cardiovascular system. As an excellent source of calcium, an 8-ounce serving of fortified orange juice provides 30% of the recommended daily value.
Visit floridajuice.com to find more recipes that aid in summer hydration.
Healthy Broccoli Salad with Miso Orange Dressing
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
Miso Orange Dressing:
- 1 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 shallot
- To make salad: In bowl, toss broccoli, cabbage, raisins, almonds and green onions.
- To make miso orange dressing: In food processor or blender, pulse orange juice, canola oil, miso, almond butter and shallot until smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad, tossing to coat. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.
Pineapple Orange Smoothie
- 1 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 scoop walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 1 scoop plain protein powder (optional)
- In large blender, blend orange juice, almond milk, frozen banana, frozen pineapple, turmeric, walnuts, cayenne, ice cubes and protein powder, if desired, until smooth.
- Portion into two small glasses.
Source: Florida Department of Citrus
(Family Features) Mornings may look different from the norm for many families but staying on track with healthy choices remains a top priority. While you may not be stopping at your favorite coffeehouse on the way to work or school drop-off, a new way to enjoy coffee has grown in popularity, allowing you to get more out of your cup of joe from home.
The popular trend, known as "proffee," got its name from a protein and coffee combination that adds nutritional benefits to coffee drinks. By adding a protein-rich option like Premier Protein 30g High Protein Shakes to your coffee, latte or cappuccino - hot or iced - your cup can provide you with up to 30 grams of protein and 24 vitamins and minerals, including antioxidants vitamins C and E that help support a healthy immune system.
Available in nine indulgent flavors - including fan favorites like Chocolate, Vanilla, Caramel, Cinnamon Roll and Cookies and Cream - these shakes make it easy to stay on track with your health goals and allow for "proffee" personalization. Plus, they can be enjoyed straight from the container as part of a nutritious breakfast, afternoon snack, post-workout boost or as an ingredient in a protein-packed recipe.
For those looking to make their own proffee, a Chocolate Latte is as simple as it is nutritious. Basic in the best way, you can enjoy the benefits of coffee, but with protein, vitamins and the addition of delicious chocolate notes. Or, for another warm coffeehouse-style option, you can take advantage of the many health benefits of curcumin and turmeric in a Golden Turmeric Vanilla Protein Latte. A sprinkle of pepper may sound odd in your latte, but the pepper can actually improve your body's absorption of the turmeric.
To learn more, visit premierprotein.com.
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee or 2 shots espresso
- 1 Premier Protein 30g High Protein Chocolate Shake
- 2 teaspoons cocoa nibs
- In large 14-16-ounce mug, prepare espresso or coffee.
- Pour chocolate shake on top to combine.
- Top with cocoa nibs.
Nutritional information per serving: 203 calories; 6.4 g total fat; 2.4 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 20 mg cholesterol; 189.6 mg sodium; 7.7 g total carbohydrates; 4 g dietary fiber; 1.1 g total sugars; 30.9 g protein; 6 mcg vitamin D; 23 mg vitamin C; 3.8 mg vitamin E; 650 mg calcium; 3.5 mg iron; 538 mg potassium.
Golden Turmeric Vanilla Protein Latte
- 1 Premier Protein 30g High Protein Vanilla Shake
- 2 shots espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash black pepper
- Froth vanilla shake using frother on warm setting. If you don't have a frother, simply shake in container 45 seconds, pour into mug and microwave 45 seconds.
- Add espresso to 14-16-ounce mug then top with frothed shake, turmeric, cinnamon and black pepper; whisk to combine.
Nutritional information per serving: 171.3 calories; 3.3 g total fat; 0.5 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 20 mg cholesterol; 238.6 mg sodium; 6.6 g total carbohydrates; 1.7 g dietary fiber; 1.1 g total sugars; 30.1 g protein; 6 mcg vitamin D; 23 mg vitamin C; 3.8 mg vitamin E; 650.2 mg calcium; 2.5 mg iron; 348 mg potassium.
Source: Premier Protein
(Family Features) Stir up sippable, flavorful drinks and snacking soups for easy ways to add more wellness to your day. Start with robust flavors like turmeric, cayenne and ginger then pair with wholesome ingredients like pineapple, dandelion greens and cucumber to create delicious sips to help you awaken, stay energized or replenish.
Fill your glass (or mug) with a breakfast boost to jumpstart your morning, a smoky sipping broth for an afternoon pick-me-up or an evening elixir to help rebalance after a busy day.
- Spiced Cucumber and Apple Morning Boost – Start the day right with this fresh, homemade drink. This invigorating wake-me-up blends clementine, cucumber and Granny Smith apple with ice, while a pinch of red pepper brings the zing.
- Fizz ’n’ Fruit Energizer – Your morning can get a boost with this citrusy refresher, mixing sparkling clementine juice with muddled apple and cucumber, and a splash of cayenne-spiked simple syrup.
- Smoky Avocado and Mushroom Drinkable Soup – This satisfying, snackable soup combines fragrant smoky chipotle pepper with creamy avocado and fresh cucumbers. Top it off with chopped oyster mushrooms sauteed with herbs and pistachios.
- Herbed Mushroom Sipping Broth with Avocado Oil Drizzle – Power through the day with this rich, filling broth made with fresh oyster mushrooms and seasoned with aromatic herbs like rubbed sage and thyme. For the perfect finish, drizzle avocado oil before serving.
- Ginger, Turmeric and Beet Sipping Elixir – Rebalance at the end of the day with a tangy, spiced sipping elixir over ice. With ingredients like ginger, turmeric and apple cider vinegar, it’s loaded with nutritional goodness. Transform it into a tasty Old Fashioned cocktail with the addition of bourbon, orange liqueur, sugar and a maraschino cherry garnish.
- Pineapple Turmeric Mocktail with Muddled Dandelion Greens – Finish the day with a replenishing mocktail. Muddle fresh pineapple with ginger, turmeric and dandelion greens then top with a splash of sparkling water.
(Family Features) Although you may share a passion for a favorite sports team, not everyone has the same taste when it comes to the tailgating menu. Enter these seven dips: from a yogurt turmeric dip to spicy buffalo chicken dip, you’re sure to please nearly every game-day guest.
There won’t be any trash talk when it comes to this dip. It’s the ultimate ooey, gooey, cheesy dish that’s sure to be all the rage at game-day parties and social gatherings.
Games and wings go hand-in-hand, but you can keep hands mess-free with this alternative that combines all the flavors of savory Buffalo chicken wings in a warm, creamy dip.
Think outside the box this season with a dip that is the perfect blend of salty and sweet. Bacon, Georgia peaches, sweet onions and a brown sugar bourbon marinade are complemented by pecans for a nutty, crunchy finish.
Low-fat yogurt and milk blend with golden turmeric and cinnamon for a tangy dip just waiting for crispy dippers like pita chips and veggies.
Move over cheesy, chili dips – the tangy sweetness of orange juice, carrots and honey make for a simple dip you can feel good about devouring.
Warm up with this crowd-pleasing dip made with fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, cream cheese and Parmesan.
Simply mix together a can of black beans, chopped tomatoes and spices like chili powder and cumin for an easy dip to throw together for last-minute guests.