(Family Features) If the prices of your favorite ingredients have you dreading the next trip to the grocery store, finding ways to stretch your budget can help you feel better at the checkout counter.
One such way: turning to versatile ingredients that help make every dollar count by using them in a variety of your family’s favorite meals. Flavorful options like mushrooms enhance recipes by extending portions when you use a process called “The Blend.” Blending finely chopped mushrooms with ground meat allows you to extend the volume of dishes like burgers, tacos, pasta, wraps and more.
Simply chop your desired mushroom variety to match the consistency of ground meat, blend the chopped mushrooms and meat together then cook your blend to complete the recipe. This Blended Crunchy Mushroom Wrap is a perfect example of an easy yet delicious way to take your grocery budget further.
Visit MushroomCouncil.com for more blended recipe ideas.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Blended Crunchy Mushroom Wraps
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, such as white button, crimini or portabella, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas (about 10 inches each)
- 1/3 cup nacho cheese sauce
- 6 tostada shells
- sour cream
- 6 mini soft taco-size flour tortillas (about 4 1/2 inches each)
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- nonstick cooking spray
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Cook onions 1-2 minutes until translucent. Add mushrooms and ground beef. Cook about 5 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in taco seasoning. Cook 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Lay one large flour tortilla on flat surface. Spread 2 tablespoons mushroom-meat mixture on center of tortilla.
- Drizzle dollop of nacho cheese over mushroom-meat mixture. Top meat with one tostada shell then spread thin layer of sour cream over tostada shell.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and shredded Mexican cheese then one small tortilla. Make sure not to overstuff so wrap doesn’t break apart while cooking.
- Fold edges of large tortilla toward center until completely covered.
- In hot skillet, generously spray with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully place wrap seam side down on skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Flip and cook other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining mushroom-meat mixture, tortillas and toppings.
- Cut wraps half and serve.
Source: Mushroom Council
Jazz up your traditional sweet potato casserole with some nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, walnuts and crunchy cornflakes. The holidays never tasted sweeter!
For more holiday recipes, go to culinary.net.
Crunchy Sweet Potato Casserole
• 5-6 sweet potatoes, mashed
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 TSP ground cinnamon
• 1/2 TSP ground nutmeg
• 1 cup crushed cornflakes
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup butter, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 375° F
2. In a large bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, beaten eggs, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine crushed cornflakes, walnuts, brown sugar and cubed butter.
5. Sprinkle over potato mixture.
6. Bake again 5-10 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home