(Family Features) If the prices of your favorite ingredients have you dreading the next trip to the grocery store, finding ways to stretch your budget can help you feel better at the checkout counter.
One such way: turning to versatile ingredients that help make every dollar count by using them in a variety of your family’s favorite meals. Flavorful options like mushrooms enhance recipes by extending portions when you use a process called “The Blend.” Blending finely chopped mushrooms with ground meat allows you to extend the volume of dishes like burgers, tacos, pasta, wraps and more.
Simply chop your desired mushroom variety to match the consistency of ground meat, blend the chopped mushrooms and meat together then cook your blend to complete the recipe. This Blended Crunchy Mushroom Wrap is a perfect example of an easy yet delicious way to take your grocery budget further.
Visit MushroomCouncil.com for more blended recipe ideas.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Blended Crunchy Mushroom Wraps
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, such as white button, crimini or portabella, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas (about 10 inches each)
- 1/3 cup nacho cheese sauce
- 6 tostada shells
- sour cream
- 6 mini soft taco-size flour tortillas (about 4 1/2 inches each)
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- nonstick cooking spray
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Cook onions 1-2 minutes until translucent. Add mushrooms and ground beef. Cook about 5 minutes, or until beef is no longer pink. Stir in taco seasoning. Cook 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Lay one large flour tortilla on flat surface. Spread 2 tablespoons mushroom-meat mixture on center of tortilla.
- Drizzle dollop of nacho cheese over mushroom-meat mixture. Top meat with one tostada shell then spread thin layer of sour cream over tostada shell.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and shredded Mexican cheese then one small tortilla. Make sure not to overstuff so wrap doesn’t break apart while cooking.
- Fold edges of large tortilla toward center until completely covered.
- In hot skillet, generously spray with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully place wrap seam side down on skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Flip and cook other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining mushroom-meat mixture, tortillas and toppings.
- Cut wraps half and serve.
Source: Mushroom Council
(Family Features) Casual and diehard sports fans alike can all agree one of the best parts of game day is the tailgate. Whether you’re heading to the game to take part in the action or tuning in on the big screen, you can light up the scoreboard this season with these tips for a fun, easy and downright tasty tailgate (or home-gate).
Start early. There’s likely no easier way to send a tailgate spiraling out of control than to get a late start, which puts the party in a rush ahead of game time. Prepare early, and if you’re heading to the stadium, leave yourself plenty of time to find the ultimate parking spot, light the grill and enjoy the atmosphere.
Keep it simple. A true tailgate experience starts with flavorful foods fit for a crowd, which calls for ready-to-go ingredients like Eckrich Smoked Sausage, crafted with just the right blend of spices for a rich, savory and smoky taste. Because it’s pre-cooked, just heat it up and pair with other simple ingredients, such as a hoagie bun and some peppers for an easy Grilled Smoked Sausage and Pepper Hoagies.
Share the responsibility. Preparing shouldn’t fall on one person’s shoulders. Instead, ask each attendee to bring something useful for the entire group, such as plasticware, trash bags, napkins, cups, drinks and games.
Make it customizable. Especially if you’re bringing a large group, creating a spread that allows for personalization can help ensure everyone leaves happy. These Deluxe Nacho Dogs call for an abundance of topping options, giving guests full freedom to concoct their own creations, and they pair perfectly with Nathan’s Famous Beef Franks – made with 100% premium beef, no artificial flavors or colors and no fillers or by-products.
Ensure an easy cleanup. When the tailgate is winding down and the game is about to start, it’s almost inevitable there’ll be a rush to pack up and head to the stadium (or the couch). Make things simpler and quicker by using disposable plasticware, plates and cups, and strategically placing trash bags in easily visible areas for everyone to clean up as the party continues, rather than scrambling to pick everything up at once.
Grilled Smoked Sausage and Pepper Hoagies
Cook time: 22 minutes
- 1 package Eckrich Smoked Sausage
- 1 red or green bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 4 slices (1/2-inch thick) large red onion
- 1/4 cup bottled hickory or spicy barbecue sauce
- 4 hoagie rolls or 8-inch French bread rolls, split
- Heat grill to medium-high heat and oil cooking grates. Cut each sausage link in half crosswise.
- Grill sausage, peppers and onions, covered, 5 minutes. Turn; continue grilling, covered, 5 minutes, or until sausage is heated through and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Brush barbecue sauce over both sides of sausage and vegetables. Arrange rolls, cut-sides down, around edges of grill. Continue grilling, covered, 2 minutes, or until rolls are lightly toasted. Cut bell peppers into strips; separate onion slices into rings.
- Serve sausage and vegetables in rolls.
Deluxe Nacho Dogs
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 package (8 hot dogs) Nathan’s Famous Skinless Beef Franks
- cheese sauce
- 1 package hot dog buns
- sour cream
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Wash and dry lettuce, tomato, red onion, jalapeno peppers and chives. Chop lettuce. Dice tomato and red onion. Remove jalapeno stems then slice. Chop chives.
- Grill hot dogs 4 minutes, turning once halfway to warm through.
- Heat cheese sauce according to package directions.
- Personalize hot dogs with desired toppings. Spoon cheese sauce over entire dog then layer lettuce, tomatoes, onions and jalapenos. Add sour cream and garnish with chives.
Tip: To add heat, slice jalapenos and fry in skillet over medium heat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook until slices begin to blacken.