(Family Features) Bolstering your immune system during winter, when coughs and colds seem to take control, is a must for the entire family. Supporting your wellness can start in a simple place – with the foods you eat and drink.
Consider an easy choice for any season like Florida Orange Juice, which can help you and your loved ones get the vitamins and minerals you need all winter long. With 100% of the daily recommended value of vitamin C in every 8-ounce serving along with key nutrients like potassium and magnesium, there’s a reason it’s referred to as the “Original Wellness Drink.”
With no added sugar or artificial flavor, it provides the benefits you need without the additives you don’t. It contains natural sugar from the whole fruit for a delicious solution that’s one of nature’s nutrient-rich foods with vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Plus, it’s easy to use as a nutritional ingredient in wintertime favorites like this comforting Orange Juice and Coconut Chickpea Soup or to start your day strong with a Superfruit Breakfast Smoothie.
Paired with a healthy lifestyle, 8 ounces of 100% orange juice may help support a healthy immune system as an excellent source of vitamin C and a good source of vitamin D in fortified juices. Vitamin C is commonly associated with helping maintain and strengthen healthy immune systems by protecting cells and promoting the production and function of immune cells. Meanwhile, vitamin D also plays an important role in regulating immune response by helping immune cells fight off bacteria and viruses.
“Safeguarding your health against the spread of illness is important year-round, especially during colder months when reports of cold and flu increase,” said Dr. Rosa Walsh, director of scientific research at the Florida Department of Citrus. “A key step in supporting your immune system is maintaining a well-balanced diet that is high in essential nutrients. Incorporating an 8-ounce glass of 100% orange juice can help you meet the recommended daily value of vitamin C and support your hydration.”
Beneficial plant compounds, like those in Florida Orange Juice, along with flavonoids and colorful carotenoids work to support the immune system by fighting inflammation and helping cells communicate, which can help strengthen immune responses when encountering infections.
Additionally, 100% orange juice is a source of phytonutrients like hesperidin, which has been shown in clinical studies to have antioxidant-like properties, heart health benefits and may help reduce inflammation. Hesperidin has also been linked with benefits related to cognitive function, immune system function and bone health.
To find more information and immunity-boosting winter recipes, visit FloridaJuice.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Florida Orange juice
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- In medium saucepan over medium high, heat olive oil until it shimmers.
- Add onions, bell pepper, carrots and salt; cook until onions are translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cardamom; cook 1-2 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant. Do not brown.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk and chickpeas; bring to simmer.
- Decrease heat to low and cook until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add orange juice, remove from heat and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve garnished with cilantro, if desired.
- 8 ounces Florida Orange Juice
- 4 ounces dark sweet cherries
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- In blender, puree orange juice, cherries and pomegranate juice then serve.
(Family Features) As bright and joyful as the holidays can be, the hustle and bustle of the season can also leave people feeling overwhelmed. Remembering to slow down and find ways to maintain self-care between festivities can make the holidays more enjoyable.
Supporting a healthy lifestyle can be as easy as taking small actions when life gets hectic. Chakra Earthsong, founder of KeVita – makers of prebiotic and probiotic drinks – recommends these tips for integrating self-care during the season. Visit kevita.com for more information.
Photo courtesy of Adobe Stock
1. Get the Family Involved – In the midst of the busyness, activities that include the entire family – like scavenger hunts, crafts, making placemats and table decor for holiday meals and cooking – can create special moments that get the feel-good emotions flowing. It’s also a good idea to get fresh air, whether it’s a walk, bike ride or hike to look at decorations.
Photo courtesy of Adobe Stock
2. Take Time for Yourself – Togetherness is one of the best aspects of the winter holidays but making time for favorite personal activities can help keep stress levels low. Whether it’s keeping up with hobbies, meditating, exercising or “me time” moments such as wrapping holiday gifts with music playing, these breaks can positively boost your mood and overall productivity.
3. Practice Healthy Habits – Enjoying delicious holiday foods and treats are highlights of the season. One way to balance those indulgences with wellness goals is adding probiotics to daily routines. Probiotics are the live micro-organisms referred to as “good” bacteria that, when consumed in the correct amounts, may provide health benefits, such as improving digestion. Another option to keep your goals on track is adding prebiotic fiber – the fiber that contributes to the good bacteria in the gut. Try an option like KeVita’s Prebiotic Shots, a convenient way to support your digestive health and wellness routines on the go.
Photo courtesy of Adobe Stock
4. Enjoy Holiday Treats in Moderation – Parties often involve enjoying holiday baked goods, snacking and chatting but can sometimes lead to overindulgence. Practicing mindful or intuitive eating and making smart swaps, such as mocktails over cocktails, are two ways to find balance and enjoy events.
5. Experiment with New Recipes – Most hosts have their own holiday go-to’s and traditions, and adding fun beverages is one of the easiest ways to try something new while also squeezing in functional benefits. One idea is to mix up light and bubbly drinks that offer a festive feel. Earthsong recommends this Lemon Ginger Merry Mocktail, made with KeVita’s Sparkling Probiotic Drinks, which contain billions of live probiotics.
Lemon Ginger Merry Mocktail
Prep time: 3 minutes
Yield: 16 ounces
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, plus additional for garnish, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 5 small mint leaves
- 1 cup KeVita Lemon Ginger Sparkling Probiotic Drink
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup ice
- 1 mint sprig, for garnish
- In glass, muddle 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, molasses and mint leaves.
- Add probiotic drink, pomegranate juice and ice.
- Stir gently.
- Garnish with additional pomegranate seeds and mint sprig.
(Family Features) While holiday traditions and celebrations will likely look different this year, the season is still special. Set the scene for a celebratory occasion by mixing festive cocktails or creating the perfect spread to complement your wines, beers, cheeses and even chocolates.
You can help make your spread delicious and affordable by relying on high-quality ingredients like those at ALDI. If you need inspiration, sommelier and lifestyle expert Sarah Tracey can help guide your palate with these festive ALDI-exclusive pairings and seasonal cocktail ideas:
Light and Refreshing – With aromas of Meyer lemon and flavors of fresh green apple and white peach, the crisp Landshut Riesling has a touch of delicate sweetness while still being juicy and refreshing. For a savory-and-sweet combination, try pairing it with the Emporium Selection Plain Goat Cheese Log and Winternacht Milk Chocolate Domino Cubes.
Rich and Decadent – Indulge your senses with the aromas of butterscotch, warm baking spices and the velvety dark fruit notes of the Quarter Cut Bourbon Barrel Red Blend. This decadent red blend offers a smooth finish, similar to mulled wine without the extra work. The rich flavor pairs well with a smoked cheese like Emporium Selection Smoked Gouda as well as the Moser Roth Dark Chocolate Collection Caramel Sea Salt.
Savory with Brew – If a craft beer is more your style, consider a rich and creamy dark ale like a stout. Its robust flavors of roasted coffee beans and bittersweet cocoa combine for a sweet yet savory, earthy finish. Serve it with rich flavors like Emporium Selection Premium English Truffle Cheddar and add a touch of chocolatey sweetness with Specially Selected Cocoa Dusted Truffles.
Signature Libations – Up the ante on your holiday celebration with a special yet simple cocktail you can mix at home with confidence. The secret to making the Mistletoe Mule is the 3-2-1 method: just pour wine for three counts, ginger beer for two counts and pomegranate juice for one count.
Find more holiday recipes at aldi.us/holiday-guide.
- 4 1/2 ounces Tourner Brut Sparkling
- 3 ounces Summit Ginger Beer
- 1.5 ounces Specially Selected Premium 100% Pomegranate Juice
- lime juice
- fresh cranberries, for garnish (optional)
- Rim two glasses with sugar.
- In separate mixer or glass, combine wine, ginger beer and pomegranate juice using 3-2-1 method.
- To serve, pour over ice in prepared glasses then top with fresh lime juice. Garnish each glass with cranberries, if desired.
Photos courtesy of Getty Images