By: Bianca Miller (@littlehouseinop)
Cooking and baking have always been ways for me to relax, find calmness and bring joy to myself and others. I’ve always believed recipes have a way of bringing people together in more ways than one, and this recipe is no different. In fact, it isn’t just a recipe; it’s a memory, a tradition and a reminder of my Grandma Donna.
As long as I can remember, when we spent the holidays at my grandparents’, my grandmother would make at least three batches of Scotcharoos. Usually, she would hide a bonus batch in the basement and only her favorite grandkids knew the hiding spot of her secret stash (don’t worry, I always knew the hiding spot).
In 2020, my grandparents moved into an assisted living facility; GOOD NEWS is they are in Kansas City, but the sad news is it was the first time we didn’t celebrate the holidays at their home. The same home they had from the time I was born. While this was hard for us, we found new ways to celebrate with them, and of course, I turned to baking.
I FINALLY got my hands on my grandma’s recipe and I will never let it go. I vow to make these every year during the holidays just to feel a little bit closer to her! I hope you humans find these little bars of goodness as delicious as I do and are able to share them with some of your special humans.
Grandma Donna’s Scotcharoos
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 6 ounces butterscotch chips
- Generously grease 9-by-13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In pan over medium heat, bring sugar and syrup to boil. Remove from heat as soon as sugar and corn syrup have boiled and mixed together.
- Stir in peanut butter until combined then add crispy rice cereal. Transfer mixture to greased dish and pat down until it is spread evenly in baking dish.
- In microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until melted together then spread evenly over scotcharoo mixture.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened, about 20 minutes.
Note: Scotcharoos should be stored at room temperature after chocolate has hardened.
HI Sweet Humans - my name is Bianca and I am the human that runs Little House in OP. I am a lover of all things food, fashion, and making my home as cozy as possible. I am a teacher by day and an entrepreneur by night. I have lived all over this crazy place (Australia, New York City, North Carolina) yet, I ended up right back where I started in good ole' Kansas City. I have worked on the Today Show as a stylist and even dabbled in radio, now I happily reside as a teacher to a bunch of wonderful little humans! As I have settled into a career, I have been able to explore my other interests like FOOD! Above you'll find one of my NEWEST recipes! I hope you enjoy these little boats of deliciousness as much as I do! xo, BRM.