Tex-Mex Layered Bean Salad
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Chilling Time: up to 8 hours
Makes 8 to 10 servings (about 12 cups)
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 bag (16 ounces) iceberg lettuce, carrot and cabbage salad mix
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) READ 3-bean salad, drained
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
- 1 small avocado, sliced (optional)
- In a 3-1/2 quart salad bowl or soufflé dish (preferably straight-sided) layer salad as follows: bell pepper, onion, lettuce, cheese and 3-bean salad.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream and chipotle pepper. Spread over top of salad. Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle top with chips and sliced avocado, if desired. Toss to serve.
Nutrition information (1/8 servings): 195 calories; 5 g protein; 18 g carbohydrate; 11 g fat; 476 mg sodium; 26 mg cholesterol; 3 g dietary fiber; 1 mg iron; 149 mg potassium;3584 IU Vitamin A; 149 mg calcium.
Note: READ 4-Bean Salad can be substituted for 3-Bean Salad.
Photo and recipe courtesy of READ Bean Salads (Seneca Foods Corporation).